Sunday, June 03, 2007

WSOPoker Day 3, Event #4, $1500 PLHE

Trying to figure this one out... I started out simply cruising in this event. I had built my stack up to 7500 shortly before the first break and then played a huge pot with a open ender and an over-card when I put my opponent who was short had top pair. I went into the first break with 4925, still plenty excellent.

Coming into level three I was flying. I busted a guy's aces on the flop with 89 on an 884 flop, busted a guy with 99 on a 653 flop with 66, and busted a short stack with AJ vs. AK pre-flop with a lucky jack on the river. I was chip leader on my table and probably pretty up there for the whole event when I played this monster hand. I either played this hand just fine in accordances with my playing to win mentality or really butchered a nice stack.

A predictable player opened for the pot in the 100-200 level for 700. I asked how much he had left and he said about 5k. I called in position with the K Q , and the BB called as well, 2300 in the pot. The flop came T 9 3 . The BB checked, and the initial raiser potted it. I spent some time thinking about what the best play was and looking to pick up a read on the opponent. I really didn't feel like he wanted any more action. I had him on hands in this order: JJ, AA w/o the A , KK, QQ, Tx, or any set. It really looked like he wanted to take the hand down right there. Furthermore, I was pretty confident that the BB was done with the hand unless he happened to flop a flush, but my reads were that he wasn't too interested in the hand any longer.

So, I didn't think that the initial raiser was going to fold although there was that small chance, I just had to decide if I should put him all-in or not. I did some quick mental calculations and figured that I was about 50-50 vs. his range, plus some fold equity, plus the added value of 2300 in the pot, I decided that it was a good play to put him-all in.

I actually just crunched the numbers with tthat range of hands including AA with the A and the A Tx and it came back at 47-53, my hand being the slight dog.

So, I took the gamble and raised it to 6k enough to put him all-in. Then, much to my shock, the BB went-all in for 6725!!! What the?!? I hated that cause the only hand that really makes sense there is the nuts! Then, the initial raiser quickly went all-in as well. Holy crap! From trying to pick off an average stack I found myself playing a 22k pot with two average stacks all in, and all I had was king high! I was just hoping that the BB didn't have the nuts, and I was releived when he rolled over the J J . Sweet. I have 16 outs to beat that hand. Then I saw the last hand I wanted to see in the initial raiser's hand, the A T . So, instead of having the neighborhood of 12 outs like I thought I had seven outs but was drawing to a 21k pot! Unfortunately it went brick-brick and the Jacks somehow held up to win the huge pot.

Shortly thereafter I re-raised all-in to 2300 over an opponent that I felt was weak with KQ, and he finally made the call with A9, no help and gg Devo.

AYA... One time I'll run good.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com