Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Life Changes and a Session of Cards

[Insert Required Intro Text Here] Sorry about going AWOL in the past week, but circumstances have come up in my life that have forced me to take some time off from work. It's very strange how those crazy moments in life completely unsettle everything and alter your paradigms. But when the dust settles after these seasons in life we always end up more grounded and strong.

So, I spent the last several days on the lake with Jared for a party with his work. We left Saturday night to party on the houseboat that Jared's work had rented for the few days. Before we knew it the sun was up and everybody was starting to move about. Jared and I decided to motor out toward the beach to get some sleep on. We were waken up by the sun around nine thirty, and all the boats that we were supposed to meet were not there. We then left to find them, and that adventure took us right back to the dock that we had left four hours earlier. Oops. They were getting ready to launch the houseboat, and I saw an opportunity to squeeze in a cat nap. I snuck into the houseboat and crawled into a bed on the lower deck. Devo out.

I regained consciousness when there was a rythymic knocking on the window above my head. I looked up out the window and saw a pontoon boat tied alongside the houseboat and assumed it was Jared. Then I heard the cackle of a radio from within the houseboat, and realized that it was not my pontoon boat outside but a Callville Bay boat. As I emerged from the bedroom I began to see more and more people that I did not recognize, some in uniform, some not. I deduced that the boat had broken down and we were floating outside of the marina, but who were all these people?!? It was a super confusing moment. Finally I recognized the fifteenth person I saw and they filled me in on what was going on. The rest of Sunday and Monday went off without a hitch, and I came home Monday night tired and tanned.

Oh yeah... I did play some poker in the past week. Saturday I woke up with the itch to go play some cards, and I ended up at the Wynn playing 5-10 NL about an hour later. My friend Justin Sellers (dude who won best all around at Canterbury Fall Classic 06) and I were sitting at a table chatting when they called down a new game. Justin and I took the 2 and 3 seats respectively, and the seats slowly filled up. I had a strong feeling that this was going to be a very good game. I did not recognize anybody and they all sat there like tourists fresh off the plane. I was not to be disappointed. I bought in for $2k, about the most on the table.

Within thirty minutes the line-up looked like this:

1 Really bad player, short stack
2 Justin - solid luckbox
3 Me - No-Limit Fish
4 Really bad player, short stack
5 Really bad player, medium stack
6 Decent young player, big stack
7 Really bad young player, big stack
8 Really bad old foreign guy, big stack
9 Solid, tight player I know

This is a great lineup for a 1-2 NL game, but we're playing 5-10 with no cap on the buy-in. After the first half hour of the game things degenerate very quickly. Seat 8 loses a pot to Justin when his obvious bluff was picked off by the luckbox on the river. For some reason this induces the 8 seat to pull four yellow chips out of his pocket, making his stack about $5500. This then gets the 6 and 7 seat to pull out more money. I pull out my box keys and head to the cage. I return with $10k in cash and one $500 chip and drop it on the table. The 8 seat then removes the $4k that he had put on the table. I ask the floorman to talk to the 8 seat about the money, the 8 seat realizes that I'm talking about him as the floorman talks to him, and he says something in garbled english along the lines of, "You wanna play beeeeg? I sho yoo how play beeeeeg. I either cover you or take off table." He takes the 4k back out of his pocket and then pulls out a $10k nug and puts it on the table.

OMG I'm buying a new mustang on the way home.

About five hands after all this fun I won a sweet hand off Justin when I turned a flush and got value out of the five seat. The very next hand I was in the SB and limped into a straddle pot with J T . We saw a flop six ways that came down pretty nice in the form of 9 8 7 . I lead for $80, seat 5 called, and seat 7 made it $400. So sweet. Folded around, I say, "How much you got left?" He replies somewhere around $1400. I know the 5 seat is done with the hand. I re-raise the minimum, total of $720. He somewhat quickly goes all-in. I obviously call figuring that we're chopping or I have to dodge a bunch of outs to full houses. Nope. He had A 9 . WHAT?!? Sweet! Moments like that make me so much happier with no-limit over limit. About twenty minutes after that I won another big pot with JT suited, up almost $3k.

Shortly thereafter though the worst thing ever happened. I got moved to the main game. Arrrrrrggghh! They made me leave the best non-Lamont game ever for the most boring usual game. I can fix this.

Upon arrival I say, "Anybody who leaves this game right now will be paid $50 by me."

$100 later, two guys had left, and we had imported the 6 and 7 seat, and the game got good again. They weren't my first choices for imports, but the 3 primary suspects were next up on the list. Within an hour I had won another $2k pot off the former 7 seat, $850 directly from him. Good investment.

The next four hours were pretty boring as the game never got super juicy again. It felt good to book a nice $3k cash though and head out for the weekend.

OK. I'm tired of writing.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com