Saturday, April 28, 2007

WSOP Circuit at Caesar's Palace, event #5 $2000+80 NLHE

Devo = Amir's Donkey In 35 minutes I will be leaving the Sheraton with everybody to head up to the Playboy mansion, so I'm gonna have to make this a quick one.

Yesterday at first break I was feeling great about my chances to final table the 2k event. I had 10,300 in chips from our 4k starting point. I had picked up aces for the first time in four days, I flopped a set and busted a guy, I turned the nut straight and got a guy all-in on the river... with the same hand... and I was playing excellent poker.

Coming back from break I continued to play well and built my stack up slowly to somewhere around 14k and my game was wide open. Then, as usual, the wheels fell off. I lost a pot worth a little more than 6k with AA vs. JJ all-in pre-flop when he turned a jack. Then my small-ball game was simply not working as I missed every flop while my opponents hit hard.

In the fourth level, blinds 100-200, I played a hand pretty poorly with Amir Vahedi. I opened early to 550 with A Q and got called in three spots, all behind me. With 2750 in the pot the flop came 8 7 2 . My first mistake was when I decided to continue for 1400, although it is a marginal mistake. I should have simply checked since I was out of position to three players and just given up on the hand, because it was going to be impossible to play a small pot with that board and three opponents and an already large pot. Amir was the only one who called me, and I convinced myself that he was weak/drawing/floating. Thus, I fired 2600 at the 9 turn and was quickly called.

Dumb thinking and here's why: First, no need to bet the flop. Nobody's screwing around in this pot. There is an arguement to be made for betting, but when we're talking about more than 10% of my already well above average stack, it's an overall losing play on that decently coordinated board. At least I didn't bet more than half the pot. Second, betting the turn is just plain retarded for the same reason. This pot has gotten unnecessairly large and nobody is screwing around in it. Amir's call represents a huge draw or huge strength and he is not going anywhere. Once you lose control of the size of the pot you really need to back down, especially when out of position, and I failed to do that in this hand and cost myself a third of my stack unnecessairly.

From there I simply kept losing small pots, got short, and re-raised all-in with AQo and ran into aces. Oh well...

Tonight! Party at the Playboy Mansion. A full blog is sure to follow.

Monday! $5k Circuit Main Event. We're going deep in that one.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com