Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bellagio WPT $25k World Championship: End of Day 2

Much better... now it's time to run good.

Pheeeeewww... what a roller coaster ride! Yesterday was something along the lines of a slow bleed, today's first three levels were like a stressful roller coaster ride. I doubled up in the 30th minute on the first hand I played, calling a raise in position with T9, and on the TT8 flop the BB bet 6k, the original raiser shoved having me covered, and I went all-in as well and cracked his aces. I was thinking, sweet! But, by the end of the level I was back down to 64k after having to fold flopped top two on the river on the last hand of the level. I was up and down the next two levels, dropping as low as 48k and being as high as 88k, and by the time the fourth level, 800-1600/200 came around, I was ready to roll.

I had won some small pots in some key places, picked up the blinds here and there, and it seemed like every time Hoyt opened from late position I found a big hand in the blinds and either flat called his raise and won the pot post flop or re-raised him off the pot pre-flop. Unfortunately for me though he never had a big enough hand to give me a ton of chips as I would have insta called his 4 bet all-in's with my KK, QQ, JJ, or AKs, all hands that he mucked pre-flop.

This hand was quite interesting though that ended up propelling me to where I am at right now. Hoyt opened for a very large raise pre-flop in the same level, somewhere around 8k or 8500, and I decided to flat call with my 99 as I felt there was a good chance that he would shove on me after re-raising him again , and I didn't want to call off all my chips with 99.

The flop came 6 6 3 . Could be a good flop, could be the end of me flop. I decided to check and see what happened. Hoyt fired 20k, a slightly larger than pot sized bet.

Boy, what a spot I was in. I had about 80k left while facing the 20k bet and Hoyt had me covered. He either had me crushed, had nothing, or had a flush draw, which would put me ahead, behind, or coin-flipping depending on if he had 0, 2, or 1 over-cards. I couldn't just give up, but I hated just calling, but I hated shoving, but I didn't have the wiggle room to make a small raise. Or did I?

After thinking for about three minutes, I raised to 50k, leaving myself with slightly over 30k. I was fully prepared to muck if he shoved over the top of me, and if he insta shoved I probably would have.

Hoyt said, "Your nines are good," and threw his cards in the muck.

Sick read. Nice bet.

Two hands later I flat called his normal raise from the button with AQo, flopped Axx, and he check folded. I then raised 5 of the next 6 hands winning three of them pre-flop and the other two post after a continuation bet.

I went into level 10, 1k-2k/300, with about 140k. Things started off more slowly than usual, picking up a small pot, losing a small pot, stealing the blinds, etc. Then in the last ten hands things started running good. I stole the blinds twice, and then with four hands to go, I opened UTG+2 to 6500 with A T and was flat called by the button who had about 90k. I flopped huge, J T T , and continued for 12k. The button decided to raise it to 26k. After some thought I asked, "How much are you playing?" He had a little over 60k, and I just called. We both checked the 2 river, and I had him squarely on AJ, KJ, or QJ. The river was the 7 and I figured 30k was a good bet into the 70k pot. I didn't want it to look like a "call-me" bet, nor did I want it to look like a big hand. I wanted it to look like a busted draw that would fit with my flop speech. After a ton of thought he folded KJ suited. Nice laydown.

Two hands later I limped UTG with 22. I was torturing the table so much at this point that I could get away with this :-). Folded to the button who limped, Hoyt in the SB completed, and Erik Sandstrom knuckled from the BB. Flop Q 8 2 . Sweet! First set of the tournament with only one more hand to play! Both blinds check, I bet 7k into the 11k pot and the button raised to 20k. He only had about 60k left and had been talking about how he wanted to come back tomorrow with chips, so I stuffed a bunch of blue 10k chips in the pot putting him all-in. He picked up on the read that I was giving off.

"I know that you have a flush draw and I know that you know that I'm going to lay this down. Damnit." He thought, and thought, and thought, and finally mucked. Damnit! Stack off to me one time!

It's been driving me nuts in this tournament. Everybody knows what they're doing!

So, I thus ended day two with 217,800, good for somewhere in the top 50 of less than 220 remaining and a well above average stack.

Sick thing about today is that I honestly did not run good. I ran good to not get going broke hands, but I never had any set-up hands, never had AA, had KK, QQ, and JJ once, all that won small pots. AK twice, one won a small one, other lost a medium one. I never made a straight or better, nor did I ever flop a draw that I could do anything with. I flopped that one set of deuces. I did flop trips twice, once to double up early which was key, and the AT hand that won me a bunch of chips.

Day one: Play good, run cold
Day two: Play great, run okay
Day three plan: Play world class, run like God.

My goal for the end of the day is 600k, and with the table draw that I have I think I have a very good shot of doing it. Here it is:

48 1 Eric Deregt 154,800
48 2 James Patton 83,200
48 3 Bryan Devonshire 217,800
48 4 Martin De Knijff 160,500
48 5 Melissa Hayden 66,400
48 6 Paul Snead 40,000
48 7 Carlos Mortensen 220,900
48 8 Allen Kessler 52,400
48 9 Jani Sointula 91,500

Weird fact of the day: Last night my backer had a dream about buying a class ring. He's never bought nor worn a class ring. Today on the poker table he saw a class ring on some dudes right ring finger and thought of his dream and was like, "Weird."

It was a USC class ring. I went to USC. My backer met me Friday.

Good mojo, JoBu.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com