Sunday, April 22, 2007

Devo's Is Playing the WPT Championship!

Blogging is way more fun when things are going well! How do I go from feeling like the unluckiest bastard on the face of the planet to feeling like everything is going just the way I want it in four days?

A formerly submerged cell phone works perfectly the next day that's how.

Tomorrow I am about to embark on a possibly life changing journey in the Bellagio WPT World Championship $25k NLHE event.

Yes, you read that right. Devo is playing the $25k.

Yesterday after an awesome night at Light playing high stakes rock paper scissors I found myself playing 15-30 at the Wynn when I noticed a 100-200 mix game going that looked extremely good. I called my good friend John Fruitkin and let him know about it. After 90 minutes I found myself sitting in the game with John taking the majority of my action. We played four handed for a long period of time when two new guys sat in the game that neither John nor myself recognized. John, myself, and four guys we had never seen before playing 100-200 mix. It was a very good game.

One of the new guys kept proposing different ways of how to put one of us into the $25k event but nothing ever panned out. The game finally broke around 11pm with me up almost $2k, a marginal win for me and a decent win for John. On the way to the cage the new guy said to me, "How much will you play for if I put you in tomorrow?"

Wow. I thought I had a good reputation but... WOW! I quickly said, "I'll play for 20%."

He finally decided that he only wanted to put up half and that we would both try and raise the additional 12.5k to put me in.

It really was weird calling so many people at 11pm asking to be staked for $10k. Funny part is that it kinda felt normal.

So, Saturday rolls around, I still haven't raised more than 2.5k, and I meed my backer at the Bellagio. We finally came to an agreement that he would put me in two single table satellites and the mega satellite. If I was able to win a seat then I would get 30%, and if not then oh well.

I just knew that this was going to be my day. My confidence level is super high and I have learned so much over the past six months that I was sure that I was going to find my way into a seat.

The first satellite started off well. I built my stack to 36k from a starting point of 25k playing my usual small ball. Then I took a stinker in a medium pot, made a really bad play that cost me 15k, and then busted on a stinker, first one to hit the rail.

My confidence was not rattled one bit.

The second satellite stared with Kevin Sung sitting across from me, Paul Darden to my right, and an excellent high limit player to my left. First hand: Paul busts to the village idiot when the other guy calls Paul's all-in on the flop of 886 rainbow with AJo vs. Paul's 99 and spikes an ace on the river.

My equity sure just went up.

By the time we were seven handed I was a marginal chip leader once again playing my classic style of small ball. At six handed I was slightly behind first and second and looked down at the ever so sexy A A . I had 41.5k in my stack with blinds of 1k-2k. I opened to 6k and all folded to the chip leader who called out of the big blind. Flop came 8 4 3 . He checked and I bet 12k, hoping to get called and then move in on the turn. He exceeded my expectations. After asking for my count he finally decided to move all-in.

I insta-called. My favorite part is that I knew he had a pair at best and at worst I had to dodge five outs. It was just so stinking obvious that he had nothing good. He said, "Oops. Bad read," and rolled over the J T . OMG. I have him drawing so thin! The 7 turn had me seeing images of Devo falling off the top of the Stratosphere if a 9 happened to come on the river, but it blanked out and I doubled up and was now the huge chip leader.

From there I cruised, busting two players along the way, and found myself heads up with Kevin Sung with 155k in chips vs his 95k in chips, blinds 2k-4k. My backer and Kevin eventually reached a very fair deal, and I went to the cage and registered for the tournament! I will be sitting at table 25 in seat 5 and cannot wait for the cards to get in the air tomorrow! I would love your sweat right here at pokerpages.com in the live updates.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention. Friday I got invited to a party at the playboy mansion this coming weekend! Lara hooked that one up using her PR skills. It's a celebrity charity poker tournament. Are you freaking kidding me?!? I will be posting another blog about that later this week, but for now I need to go get some sleep!

Peace and good luck!

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com