Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sometimes I Wish I Didn't Know What They Have.

A62, K, T, $200 to me? Call. I have QQ. I recently signed a pact with myself that I would no longer bluff while playing NL. The early reason was that I was losing a lot of money on bluffs and I didn't know why, so I decided to eliminate the big bluff from my arsenal. Obviously I'm still going to c-bet (continuation bet) to pick up un-claimed pots, but the big bluffs have been not working almost every freaking time.

After a short session yesterday though, I have ammended my reasoning. These guys just don't fold often enough to make pot sized bluffs profitable.

Here's how this hand played out. I had been at the table for about 90 mins and had been playing ultra tight. Every time it went to showdown I had the nuts or close to it. Every single river bet was a value bet. Now, the words of my friend Travis echo in my mind right now, "Dude, they wouldn't notice if an elephant walked across the table much less [how you have been playing]." However, I thought my opponent in this hand was slightly more observant.

I raised several limpers and blind+dead posters from the hi-jack (two off the button) to $30 with 7 7 . I was called by the cutoff only, and our effective stacks were about $1k. I said, "You sure are itchin to play a big pot with me, eh?" He was calling me a lot trying to make some sort of cooler hand and bust me as I was one of the few big stacks on the table. The flop came A 6 2 , $81 in the pot. I bet $40, he said, "I raise a little," and put $60 in the pot. I said, "What's that?" The dealer then informed him that he had to put $20 more in to complete the raise, and he said that he "thought [I] bet $30."

At this point I knew without a doubt that he had AJ at best, but I was pretty sure that he was even weaker than that: small chance of a flush draw, but I really had him on a pocket pair bigger than mine. This player was aggressive, and I decided to call the flop with the plan of check-raising all-in on any non diamond turn. The turn came the K , I checked, and he checked behind. I could also tell that he hated that card. The river came the T , I could visibly see that he also did not like that card, so I figured I would take the pot away from him right there. I bet $200. He thought and thought and thought, and I was using all my Jedi mind tricks to get him to fold his AJ which I was convinced that he had at this point, and he finally called. I said, "Good call, pair of sevens." He showed me Q Q and raked the pot.

Wow. Funny thing is that I play AA, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KK, TT, 66, 22, K T and Q J the SAME EXACT WAY. If I had K Q/J or J T I don't bet the river, and there are very few hands that I could show up with at the river that I would be bluffing with here. This of course makes perfect sense to me, but where I failed in my thinking was in getting on the level that my opponent was thinking on. He thought to himself that there was a good chance I was bluffing because of my big river bet and lack of action on other streets.

I was pretty shocked to see him roll over QQ. I came to the conclusion that either I'm a walking tellbox or that he just really sucks at NL, and after some more thought, I have arrived at the latter conclusion. Things I have learned: "Deceptive" play against these types of opponents will result in loose calls on the river. Bluffs against these players are a waste of time and money. And, after talking with Fruitkin about this hand, for some reason my opponents consistenty think I am full of it. For this reason I really need to stop bluffing. AYA...

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com