Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Temperature Rises, Blogging Falls.

I get so damn busy that my life is writer's block. So, since the last time I wrote it's been another crazy week. Super busy, but it has been good times for the most part.

My recent history in poker has been pretty damn discouraging. I am currently working on an article talking about how important confidence is to your game, and mine has been completely shot recently. After getting winning hands shoved up your ass so many times you start to play bad and then you start to let people catch up when they shouldn't, thus getting more hands shoved up your ass, etc, etc, etc. My problems have been further compounded by my lack of expertise in this game of no-limit, so I am not used to the swings or the textures of the game. I have personally gotten to the point that I am scared of playing, which is obviously not a healthy thing at all, and as a result I have dropped down to 2-5 NL, which generally plays like whiffle ball, to rebuild my confidence and bankroll.

Anyways, last Thursday I met up with some friends from Minnesota who were in town for a few days. It was really good to see Kelly, Tammer, Dara, Gator, Riley, and Lindsey. We went and saw the Blue Man Group first. I'm actually still not really sure what I thought about the show. It was completely unique, carrying a theme community in the postmodern paradigm. The rythyms and visuals were stimulating, but there were several times that I thought to myself, "Is this designed for those stoned on something?!?" Anyways, it was worth seeing for me, but I'm not sure if I'd ever want to see it again.

From there we wandered over to the Bellagio, had a few more drinks, watched the fountians, and soon thereafter parted ways. I had about half an hour to kill, so took an open seat in a 10-20 NL game with $2k. By the time I reached my last hand, at the end of my 2nd orbit, I had $1400 left, had not won a hand, and had not raised pre-flop. I ended up getting it all in and lost to a 3 outer. Frustrating.

I arrived at the Mirage at midnight to meet Cantu, Fuller, Theo, and Ships for a night of going to Revolution and Seamless. But alas, Brandon forgot his ID, so he decided that we should all go drink in the poker room while he lost money to us. We agreed by starting a $60+10 sit-n-go, pitting five of us wanting nothing more than to crush one another mostly against Theo vs. 5 poor souls who had no clue what was about to happen to their normal paradigm of poker. First, Theo busted early after bluffing at every pot he was in (and he wonders how I could shove all-in with ATo :-), and we tried to convince everybody to chop up the $1500 last longer pool to further needle Theo. Rick disagreed, and naturally busted next. Dumbass took 88 up against A8. From there Cantu ran like God and then promptly gave all his chips to Ships. I found myself immediately to Ships' right with a 5.5-1 chips disadvantage. I offered him to give me $500 of the last longer pool, and he settled on $400. Now, obviously you know what's coming now... I ran like God and won the damn thing. This, of course, is far worse than busting out, because now Ships will be able to give me a ton of grief for a while on how I am the worst surrenderer ever.

After I finished the papers for my tournament win (no joke... I had to fill our tax papers for winning a Mirage $60+10 tournament, total cash prize of $420, and I can't even write off the enrty fee) I took an open seat in a 20-40 game containing the previously mentioned individuals that was pretty much going off the hook. Some highlights include:

Cantu and Fuller raising tons on all streets, and then by the river, Cantu checks, Fuller bets, Cantu check raises, 3-bet, 4-bet, and finally Fuller shows his nut nine high and says somehting like, "I know you don't have anything, but if I raise you'll just raise again, and I can't beat much with nine high," and folds. Cantu promptly shows his nut six high and takes down the huge pot.
Fuller slowrolling Theo at showdown: Fuller shows a Jack, Theo proudly shows the nut jack high, and then Fuller shows a 5, good for a pair of fives.

Fuller and I in a battle of the blinds. I 3-bet with A2o, flopped TT2, he check-raised me, turn 3, he check-raised me again, river A and he check-raised me again. Yeah, Fuller took me to trifecta town, and I'm damn proud of it too. Ace high is usually good against that monkey.

Anyways, from there we headed to Seamless to enjoy Brandon's lifetime membership to the joint. Good times.

Friday I spent most of the evening hanging with Lara. Saturday I worked all day, playing 2-5 NL for 9 hours and winning $1400. From there we wandered over to O'Sheas for the St. Patty's day block party. Sunday was more work playing 2-5 NL, winning a whopping $41. Sunday would end up turning out better than Monday though because I would have had $841 extra dollars in my pocket. I pretty much got tortured on many hands and enjoyed zero hands.

Monday night, though, would turn into a pretty good night. I met Jared at 2:30 AM at his work Half-Shell. Then we drank for a while, and then we decided that were going fishing early in the morning. Clearly this was a fantastic idea since we didn't have a chance of ever waking up and getting a boat on the lake before dawn, so we might as well pull an all nighter to get the job done. We were all fired up, got out on the lake before sunrise, had beer, red-bulls, krispy-kremes, and chocolate milk, and we were motoring out toward the narrows. Then, Jared shoved the throttle forward, we both heard a loud snap, and the rpm's died. Well, guess it was about time for something to break on the boat. We'll have to get that replaced so my life can continue. I finally went to sleep around 8am, slept til 7pm, spent the evening with Lara, and have come here to have movie time and write this blog.

Devo out.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com