Thursday, February 08, 2007

Adventures in No-Limit

and angering NETELLER news... My adventures in no-limit have continued over the past few days. Two days ago I played in the Wynn 5-10 NL deep stack (no max buy-in) game for six hours and literally played zero interesting hands. I was down $400 at one point, I was up $400 at one point, and quit down $28. I was bored out of my mind for six hours straight. I have been thinking however about the different mindset for playing no-limit, and I am beginning to grasp the finer points of the game. Limit is like checkers if you will. Quick, mechanical, and the game is decided by many small victories. No-limit is like chess, long, tedious, often boring, but with thought levels going very deep leading up to one elaborate trap of one key piece.

Yesterday I worked the day shift because I was planning on spending the night with Lara. I had a great session, winning $3024 in six hours. I earned about $1k, but was given the rest. My personal favorite was early in the session when I was sitting on $1400 (1k max) in the cutoff seat with AA. The hijack (player to my right) opened to $50 with $1200 in his stack. I wanted the whole stack and smooth called. We saw the flop heads up and it came 762 rainbow. He bet $80, I made it $210, and he went all-in. Wow. That's quite a bet. I called, and long story short he had A 9 . Uh... thanks :).

Today I woke up early and I went golfing with my friend Carl and two of his buddies. We were the first group out on the course. Great times and I sucked, shooting a solid 121. That includes four pars. Sick, eh? Good thing I wasn't betting. I made it in to the Bellagio by 3pm and put in a 6 hour session of the same 5-10 game, netting $355.

Early on I played a pretty interesting hand. I was UTG in a straddled pot with 1k in my stack. I opened to $60 with KQo. Todd in the SB called as did the straddler, $190 in the pot. It came Q88 two spades. Check, check, I bet $140, call, fold. Todd and I have played some together and he is pretty reasonable in his play. I had never seen him make a play at a pot or do anything creative, and he knows that my play is solid also. The turn came another 8. He checked, and I bet $320, leaving myself with about $460. I made this bet because I put him on some mid-range Q, thought I may be free-rolling, and wanted to put him to a little test because my turn-bet was very strong. Looking back though, I think betting in this spot may have been a mistake. What do I do if he goes all-in? It may be a better play checking the turn to keep the pot small and possibly induce a bluff on the river. I'm really not sure though and my thinking may be results oriented. He ended up going all-in, and I figured that I was playing for a chop at best, and his play was so strong, so I laid my hand down. He had AQ, and I got outplayed.

I also started thinking about it from his play. I think his shove was a pretty bad play. Very few players are going to be laying their hand down for $440 more into a $1500 pot, and I'm going to have him crushed a high percentage of the time. I suppose that is why I gave his bet so much credit, because who is laying down in that spot, and who shoves when they're expecting to get called, and if they get called they're chopping at best?!?

Anyways, I'm pretty unsure about the hand. These are all just the random thoughts I've had. Perhaps he had a read on me knowing that I was as weak as possible with that turn bet and he was chopping at worst. If so, perfect play. I dunno. What are your thoughts?

In other news today the US Government seized $55,000,000 of funds from NETELLER accounts held by US citizens. The funds have been seized on the grounds that the money is evidence in the case against the founding members arrested three weeks ago. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL SHIT. My money has been seized by the government of the United States of America. If any of you had money in NETELLER, it's been seized from you too. This is the free country that we live in. This is the government that we've elected to uphold our constitution, bill of rights, and God given freedoms. I have been quite frustrated with the current state of politics for several years. Here is a post that I wrote after the November 2004 elections. This is the first time that it has actually hit home for me personally though, where not only are my freedoms being actively infringed but I am being stolen from by my own government.

Think about these things next time you head to the ballots.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com