Friday, February 23, 2007

Venetian $300+40 event 2, Wynn $500+40 event 1, No Limit Adventures

The streak stays alive and I'm starting to like this no-limit stuff! Well, my streak of not cashing in live events is staying alive. I'm an official 0 for 16 since my win in November. Pretty dang sick if you ask me. Here's how the last two events went.

Venetian $300+40 event #2:

These events are the deepest stacks of any small tournament I have ever played. This is kinda a two edged sword for me since we're looking at a lot of play with the only relative value coming from the top few spots. But, these are extremely good practice for me for the bigger events.

I got up to 9k from 6k starting in the first 30 minutes of the first level, blinds of 25-50. The play on my table was atrocious. Then, I got a set cracked and I doubled up a short stack. Then I got QQ cracked but was able to get away from it on the flop. Then I got no action with AA. Then I got KK cracked, and was again able to get away from it on the flop. Then I raised twice, and had to fold the flop. And then I check raised all-in on the flop with a double belly buster and was called by top pair weak kicker, and gg me. I must say though that I am pretty impressed that I lasted even that long getting cold decked that much early.

After that I played some 5-10 NL at the Wynn, the game sucked, and I quit up $300.

Friday... Wynn $500+40 event #1. I lasted an entire 35 minutes. On the hand that busted me, I 3 bet a guy all in with Q9 black on a J T 3 flop. I really didn't think he had anything. He called quickly and I thought it was up to my draw. He said, "What do you have?" I said a draw. He said, "Me too." He had Q 8 , drawing to an entire eight outs. LOL. I get it all in with Queen high and it's good. Anyways, the 2 rolled off on the turn and I was drawing dead. GG me.

This, however, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I started a 5-10 NL game shortly thereafter, and it sucked. I made $21 in something like an hour, and finally got into the 10-20 NL game which looked like the best game in the house. I sit down with $4021, immediately get dealt in on my big blind, and I see a flop five ways with 66, $100 in the pot. The flop comes perfect... 9 6 3 . We're playing a big pot here boys and girls. SB checks, I bet $80, and only the button calls. Fair enough. A on the turn, I bet $200 with $260 in the pot. This is where it gets fun. He raises to $580. I re-raise to $1400. He re-raises to $2400. OK... fine. I'm all in. He thinks forever. I'm pretty sure he has A9 or 33 and I'm getting called now that the pot is so huge. He finally mucks, and I'm pretty happy to win that big of a pot on my first hand.

Hand seven I open from middle position with QQ to $100, and I'm called only by the button who has about $1k in front of him. Flop 973 with a suit. I bet $120, he calls. Turn 5o, I bet $400, he called. River 9. Hmmm. Time to go to value-check town. If I bet, it's pretty unlikely that I"m getting called by a worse hand, but if I check, there's a lot of hands that he'll bluff all-in with. I check, he shoves, I call, and MHIG. He shows 67.

About an hour later I limp from the same position with QJo and the villian from the previous hand raises to $100. He had rebought for about $4k. I call hoping for a big flop to stack him with, and I flop gin again. Flop is KT9 all offsuit. Ahhhhh, yeah. Dear God, please let him have a set, and if you so bequeath him with said settage, please remove all board pairing cards from the deck. Amen.

I check, he bets $160, I make it $400, and he instantly calls. Oh sweet pink marshmellow peeps... he has a big hand. I'm thinking of all the steak and lobster dinners I can buy with $4k when the stupidest card ever rolls off on the turn. Q . AYA. OK... Plan B now. No cheap draws. I bet $1k and he instantly calls. River bricks out (thank God), I go to value town and bet another $1k, he calls, and MHIG. He had the set of kings as expected. He didn't quite see my point of view how the turn saved him $1500, but it was quite a cooler and I was lucky enough to be on the good end of it.

So, after that hand I was up $5k. I spent the next three hours whiffing draws, running into big pairs, folding trips on the turn, and generally going card dead and I bled off $2500 pretty efficiently. I had plenty of opportunities to stack a few individuals, but missed all my key cards (either on my hand or their hand) and wasn't able to do any more. I quit after four hours of the game up $2515 and was very happy with my performance.

Tomorrow I am playing a $540 event at the Venetian. Wonder how long it's going to be until I cash again?!?

So I'm 67 hours into this great experiment in no-limit hold-em. I have been told that by playing no-limit my win rate will go up and my standard deviation will go down. Basically that means that my bottom line will will be higher and my swings will be less. Here are my numbers so far through 67 hours:

5-10: $10,270 63 hours $163 hourly
10-20: $2,972 8 hours $372

$3,024 biggest win, ($1,624) biggest loss.

12 winnins sessions vs. 4 losing sessions.

Well, these numbers sure point to the preposition at the beginning of this experiment. Win rate is higher, the swings are less. It's much easier to control everything in no-limit. I think these numbers are slightly skewed though because I have yet to take a massive cooler that busts my stack. I am sure that is going to happen eventually. I however, have yet to stack somebody with a big stack. So maybe that's a wash? Either way, I'm pretty thrilled with the numbers thus far and am excited for the next 130 hours of this experiement.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Post a comment!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com