Friday, April 13, 2007

Non Poker: UFC Bull S&@%

I hate publicity stunts. I am quite the closet MMA fan and thoroughly enjoy watching every UFC fight that I can get my hands on. However, after watching the episode of "Bad Blood: Dana vs. Tito," I am quite disappointed. The plot line was that after several years of trash talking between Tito Ortiz, champion MMA fighter in the UFC octagon and Dana White, UFC president, as part of Tito's new contract they were supposed to have a 3 round 3 minute boxing match to settle their bad blood. The episode has been advertised for the past week at if the fight was going to happen, and I was pretty pumped to see it tonight on Spike TV.

Long story short, I wish I had those 90 minutes of my life back. It was basically 90 minutes of the Dana White show documenting how much he trained over the past seven months to fight Tito and then Tito did not show. After some internet digging I learned that Tito was not getting paid for any of the show and that he refused to show up for something that UFC was making money on without being conpensated.

Either way, it's a super bad play for UFC in my opinion to show this episode. Why do they need to show Dana White to be this good guy that showed up for a fight when one of his top moneymakers did not show up for? What is the point of making Tito Ortiz look bad in a 90 minute episode? Why leave millions of loyal UFC fans disappointed after a show that has received so much hype in the past week?

I'm strongly disappointed in Dana White for his executive decision to do this episode. I understand that he may have been frustrated with Tito for not showing up for a fight that he had trained seven months for, but the UFC is his child, and it is his professional duty to run UFC in a professional manner. This show was not professional and quite honestly a waste of my time and the time of everybody else who is a fan.

For what it is worth.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com