Saturday, June 02, 2007

2007 WSOPoker Day 1

What a fiasco The signifigance of the tournament area not being open last night didn't hit me until today. Harrah's attempted to sign up everybody for the noon $5k mixed limit event, the 5pm $500 Employee event, the 9pm 1k super satellite, a second chance event, and everybody for tomorrow's $1500 NLHE madhouse of an event through fourteen windows. Several of these windows were dedicated to cash game transactions as well.

Last night when I went down to register for some events they directed me to the main cage where five cashiers were standing around doing nothing and one cashier was handling all the early signups. The line was three hours long.

Don't forget that the first time you register for a WSOP event each year they make a photocopy of your ID and players card in addition to making you sign the TV release. These aren't your normal 30-45 second tournament registrations. The average one took 3-5 minutes.

When I arrived today at 6pm I saw a line that stretched for about a hundred yards. Apparently earlier in the day the line was triple that size.

Lara snuck me into the Diamond and 7 Star registration line. It took me twenty minutes to move five feet forward in this single file line. By the time I had gotten to the front I was joined by Sebok, Cantu, Fuller, and Zach, the token Mexican exchange student that nobody remembers. We got to the front and Lara said, "I have a bunch of pro players here that need to get to a radio interview. Please register them."

Total time elapsed in the "special" line: 90 minutes. 6:45pm-8:15pm.

During this wait I was informed of the other fun that Harrah's had come up with this year in some other make them more money exclusive deal. They signed a deal with Bicycle to provide "official" WSOP playing cards. Jeffrey Pollack, the comissioner of the Series, even had his signature on the backs of the cards. They must be official, right? You can see pictures at the bottom of the day one write-up here.

The cards were removed from play before the dinner break and replaced by standard, classic, kem cards. Can you imagine the poor kid that had to run to the gambler's supply store and say, "I need all of your kem cards, now! And Harrah's demands that you give them to me at below wholesale price."

Other fun things of note: This year on the buy-in cards, the vig is blatantly printed. It used to be just a plan "$1500" buy-in. Now it's: "Buy in: $1365. Entry fee: $135."

To give you a comparison, the WSOP Circuit event was $1500+80. The Bellagio events are $1500+90. So, for 50% more juice you get to wait in line forever and play with crappy cards! Sweet!

On a good note, the chips are new and all top-hat and cane, very excellent.

But, it is the Series. I just can't forget the days when we were treated well back at the horseshoe under Jack Binion.

Back in the days when everybody in the tournament knew what the hell they were doing. Back in the days when 20% of the field was dead money, not 50% like now. So I cannot complain too much, and I will still keep coming back even though it kills me. Kinda like the Bellagio. I hate the place, but they do have the best games in town.

I wandered through the employee event that was taking place this evening. It was very nice to see many of my good friends and to needle Chris (the guy who beat me heads up last year). He already had a gazallion chips when I saw him around 9:30. I hope he wins it back to back. That would be sick.

It also brought back many memories when just eleven months ago I set foot in that same room with a little over $10k cash in my pocket wide eyed and in wonderment. Up until that point I had been a no-name cash game grinder and felt like I was finally stepping barefoot onto a big league infield. The lights burned warm on my eyes as I gazed up at the sheer size of the room, and then I squinted as I looked across a sea of felt, the sounds of chip crickets and conversation invading my ears. I had little idea that in less than 24 hours I would be learning how to handle the media and having my picture taken as the dominating chip leader of the first event of the 2006 World Series of Poker. Little did I know that in 48 hours I would be walking out of that same room with some of my closest friends in the world in tow and two pounds of $100 bills in a brown paper lunch bag cradled in my left arm.

It's incredible how much my life has changed from that moment. The money was not life changing, only $67k which I only got 20% of, but the moment was life changing as opportunities and connections took me in places that I never thought I could go.

And here I am again, blogging ten hours before my first event of the 2007 World Series of Poker, wondering where this adventure will take me in life. Will I finally make the jump from a B list player to an A list player? Will I win my first bracelet? Will I have a stellar tournament and win more than one bracelet? Will I bust out of every event and never cash? Will I barely break even, wondering how I missed my shot?

I don't know. But I am sure looking forward to the ride.

I sure have a good feeling.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com