Sunday, June 03, 2007

WSOPoker Day 2, Event #3, $1500 NLHE

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

I did a live blog today with another media site and I will cut and paste what happened throughout the day. Here ya go...

Devonshire-90-90 BY: BRYAN DEVONSHIRE FROM THE: Event 3 - No-Limit Hold'em


PUBLISHED: Saturday Jun 02, 2007 04:13 PM

Here I am two hours in to the second biggest no limit hold'em event of all time. This place is an absolute zoo.

You have to listen to me now because Cantu and Tran are out.

I have like no chips. Well I do have chips, about $2,500. I've been pretty card dead so far. Something I've noticed on my table is that players are folding to a lot of my raises. I don't think anyone knows who I am, but I've been the only one at the table that the media is taking pictures of.

They've been muttering - "Who are you?"

It's kind of funny. They've been giving me too much respect. Players so far have been easy to read. I just need to start making some hands and hopefully get some chips.

This event is going to be NUTS! It's going to be a long road ahead. I hear they have over 3000 players.

That's about it. Just hanging out.

-Devo

PUBLISHED: Saturday Jun 02, 2007 06:31 PM

It's been an entertaining couple of levels. The first hand back I lost half my chips and was left with $1,300. Then I pushed all-in on the button behind two limpers at the $100/$200 level. I got called in three different spots. I had 109. The flop was K 9 x. I get a guy to bet at a dry side pot with an ace high flush draw, which gets one guy with A 9 to fold. And the board goes brick, brick, and I take down the big ol'pot.

From there I just started running the table over. Ended level three with about $13,000. Most of the stacks on my table got really short, so I couldn't run it over anymore. Now, I kind of had to gamble with people. Lost a few of those with a couple of coin-flip situations.

Here I am with $8,000. BUT love my table.

Looking forward to about 14 hours more of madness. PUBLISHED: Saturday Jun 02, 2007 08:27 PM I spent most of the past few levels playing my typical Devo style of poker. Pretty much taking people off their hands on the turn with nothing when I sense weakness, and losing every pot I play when I flop top pair.

I got called down twice, once by an 85 year old grandmother that flopped top two. I have however, been able to pick on this one internet player a few chairs down to boost my stack a few times.

So I've been able to stay pretty stable at $12,300 going into the dinner break. Although, it's not much of a dinner break for me since all I'm eating is a can of Milwaukee's Best Light. The liquid diet in the Amazon room.

-Devo

PUBLISHED: Saturday Jun 02, 2007 11:54 PM

I came back from the dinner break with about $12,000 and change and quickly lost $4,000 of it. Standard 8 8 vs. A Q and I lost the race.

I chipped that back up to about $10,000 and won an all-in with A 10 vs. A 9 to double me up to about $20,000.

I lost about half of that back when my 9 9 failed against A K in a blind vs. blind confrontation.

Then the rollercoaster continued when I doubled back up to $20,000 with K K vs. Q Q.

The very next hand I look down at K K again! I make it $2,100 after a limper and somehow got called in three spots, which I hated. The flop brings K Q X with two hearts. Check, Check and I make it $6,000 to go. Everybody mucks and I'm up to about $30,000.

Stole some blinds and hung around for abit. Then I picked off a small river bluff with 5 5. I peaked out at about $43,000.

I made a mistake on another hand trying to resteal preflop with A J against "NutsRealBig" with a monster stack. So, I ended the level with $34,300.

The mistake I made on this hand was my pre-flop bet amount. I felt that he was weak with his pre-flop raise and that I actually had the best hand but didn't want to screw around post flop OOP vs. a big stack and just wanted to take it down there. I should have made it 7500-8k instead of the 6k that I re-raised his 2200 opener to. I gave him the right pot odds to see a flop in position and left myself in a crappy situation if I missed the flop. If I hade made it that bigger amount I could accurately deduce that I was beat pre-flop if he called my re-raise. Furthermore, I could have realized all this in the heat of the moment that he did not in fact have to have me beat pre-flop to call my re-raise and could have fired 8k at the flop, but I just hated putting a quarter or my stack into the pot with a continuation bet against a very talented player that is capable of holding anything there.

I'm in good shape with about 410 players remaining, top 270 make the money.

-Devo

PUBLISHED: Sunday Jun 03, 2007 01:16 AM

Boy that sucked.

I came back from break with $31,000 and quickly built it up to $36,000. I lost $12,000 when I put a shortstack all-in with pocket Tens. He had Kings and I was down to $24,000.

I bled off chips most of the $600/$1,200 level. Then I got moved to a new table with $19,600. I'm in the small blind when a guy open shoves UTG +1 and has me covered. I look down at J J and make the call, he shows Q Q and my day is done.

It's pretty frustrating to play all day long for 13 hours and bust 30 spots before the money. But I was playing for first anyway and I'm not about to limp into the money.

-Devo
So tomorrow is event #4, $1500 PLHE. I'm playing great but am simply not getting the cards necessary to close the deal on one of these things. I made one pretty big mistake though today that I'm annoyed by, but I did learn much from that hand.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com