Saturday, February 09, 2008

LAPC $1k+65 LHE Event #15, end of day one.

Yep... read that right. Love it when things like this happen. So, Friday Pickett and Jon Eaton make the final table of the Rincon main event. We're all planning on heading up and sweating, but then Pickett decides that he wants to head to LA immediately after and Jay decides to go with him, but the rest of us don't want to go. So, we decide to stay back and watch the 1 hour delay webcast ad home. We play online, they all make like 10k and I take 3rd in the stars 50 + one rebuy and addon while we watch Pickett win the whole tournament for $225k. Now, it's party atmosphere in LA, and Dave, Billy, and myself head up to LA. I take the bike as I am planning on heading straight to Vegas after here. We actually wake up somewhat early (11:30am) and get on the road in time to make it to LA by 2:30 before traffic. We talk about how the games are going to be, I wonder about the stakes of the tourney buyins (not planning on playing today), see $1k limit hold'em (yum yum my favorite) donkament, immediately want to play, call the backers and get approval, and I'm in. For the record, I only have cash to cover the buyin on me because of the debt I was paid back.

Anyways, there's 13 left at the end of day one and we have 52k good for 3rd in chips :-). Leader has like 75 and 2nd has like 53k. Average is in the neighborhood of 40k. 42k for first.... Devo FTW!

I got really lucky early when I got most of my chips in pre and on the flop (4 bets each street) with JJ in a spot that I clearly needed to be in and spiked a J for our last chips on the turn to beat his AA... oh and some goofball hung around calling 2 bets cold four times with A8 on the 987 flop and J turn. LOL. So, I got a healthy stack, ran it up good, and then lost four pots in a row with JJ, AA, 99, KQ. I shouldn't have even bothered raising the KQ it was that gross. Got crippled to 2500 at like 600-1200, floated a few orbits, and then went on a siiiick heater (TY Scott Diamond for the sweat!) eventually having 25k in front of me like an hour later. So, now we're down to three tables, and I'm opening like every other pot, winning the maximum when ahead, bluffing 8 high on the river and showing it, all kinds of sick crap. This hand cracks me up. With 21 left I open UTG with AJo playing 1k-2k, called by the guy who would rather eat his socks than fold a hand to me, and called by the big blind who started this hand with 5500, posted the 1k big blind, and decides to smooth call m y open. Flop J62 rainbow, BB tanks and checks (lol), I fire, call station raises, BB tanks for I almost called the clock on him long enough, finally calls 2k off of his 3500 stack, I three ball, station calls, and this guy "random cap guy's" all in. LOOOOOOOOOL. Turn A, I bet, guy folds (ZOMG!!!), and I'm like I bet my bankroll have the guy drawing dead cause how does he ever get in this pot without exactly a single J, but he rolls over the mighty K6o and nails it on the river. Siiiiiiigh. So I'm tilty, have like 9k left of what was once a 25k almost chip lead stack, and I'm watching this money hater stack a 19k pot.

Anyways, I double somehow, pick up some chips somewhere, and spend a couple of hours at 20k. It was pretty frustrating... almost every time I saw a spot to do something creative and accumulate chips they woke up with a hand and I bled a lot of chips that way. So, every time I had value from a hand I would lose it back trying to outplay people and doing a good job of it but running into bummer crappy spots. Oh well.

We finally crack the money and have like 25 more minutes to play for the night. I get up to 30 quickly, blow a few pots, float for a while, and then with 14 left and five minutes to play for the day, a new guy to me with 50k opens in the cutoff (playing 2k-4k), I three bet the big blind to 6k with the A Q , and the guy calls. I have about 20k to start this hand. Flop T62ish rainbow with one spade. I bet 2k, he raises to 4k, I call. Turn J completing the rainbow. I check, he bets 4k, and with 21k in the pot and figuring to have 10 outs at best 7 outs at worst plus the 10% chance he's spewing and I have the best hand, I call the turn. River K. Nice. The ol "runner runner I have the nuts" trick. I bet, and HE RAISES! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahhah. Based on his reaction he had at least a set. I obv three balled and he paid it off. Devo has 40k. Then I win one more "I 3 bet and am betting until you fold" pot and end the day with 52k, good for 3rd in chips with 13 left. Max Pescatori is the only other known player in the field and I don't know anybody else in the field. 42k for first, and we resume tomorrow at 7pm PST.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com