Sunday, December 23, 2007

I'm not in control

Make the best of a bad spot The only sounds I can hear is the crashing of Pacific waves and the clikity-clack of my skaboard wheels rolling over cracks in the boardwalk. It that moment of serenity I realized once again that I am not in control, and if we take what life brings us we can find ourselves in some pretty sweet spots.

You see, about an hour before I found myself here I was busting out of the UB $500 $75k guarantee in 26th place. I had just gotten crippled playing for a top 5 stack with top 20 getting paid opening with my ace king offsuit and getting jammed on by 78 sooooooted (for like 9k over my 1k open). It had already been a pretty gross Sunday, getting busted out of the Sunday million in similar fashion right before the money (that time the guy limp called my 25bb shove with A8o), so I was not too happy with things in general. I was about to drive to LA to see my fam for Christmas. I grabbed all my things, made sure everything was locked up since everybody had already left town for Christmas, and closed the door behind me without my car keys.

Now, I thought about these keys, but knew they were in my backpack. I was wrong.

So, two of the guys that live in the money factory were on a plane to Minneapolis, one was already there, and the other was in Poway, about thirty minutes away, but I don't have his number yet.

Even though this is supposed to be a bummer situation, it ended up being pretty cool now as I was rolling down the boardwalk at a beautiful moment in time. I had just eaten a gyro and drank a bud light at the world's best gyro place. My friend Emma who I haven't seen in a long time is on her way down, and it will be nice to see her also. So, embrace the good and realize that there is nothing more that I can do about my current sitiation.

We all need to be thinking this way about poker, me especially. I have been on the worst downswing of my life, consistently getting tortured in sick spots. We need to embrace that we got it in good, not that we got sucked out on, because over the long term everything balances out. There is nothing more that I can do about getting sucked out on except how I handle it. If I let it tilt me and affect my confidence, then I am not realizing that I am not in control of the bad beats. I am in control of the spots that I get myself into and how I react to the consequences of that spot, whether they be good or bad.

Merry Christmas! I'm off to go on an adventure.

Oh yeah... I found my cell phone. It was under the couch LOL.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com