Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Quickie update and a neat hand

enjoy It's been a while since I've updated... So, I'll try and give it a shot here in the next fifteen minutes before the 5pm tourneys get fired up.

The five diamond started this week. I was supposed to be playing in all of them but my live backer went AWOL. It's been okay though as I've been able to hang around the house with the fellas and grind it online. I got pretty screwed in lots of spots online this week, but I've been very proud of my play. Here's a hand I played in the $1k on stars last night.

We were playing 150-300. The villian in this hand open limped in MP1. It folded to me in the BB and I checked my option with 5 5 . The flop came out K K 6 . I checked, he bet 300, I raised to 987, he re-raised to 2400, and I jammed it to 10,275 all-in. My opponent had me covered pre-flop with 12250 to my 10575.

Sick, eh?

Here's what I wrote in the forums about this hand:

I shoved. He turbo mucked.

My line of thinking: I figured that since I was an unknown to him, most players are not three betting Kx or 66 in position here. Furthermore, I don't think he's open limping Kx here based on his numbers. However, most unknowns will not c/r here with Kx or 66, I know that he knew that, and thought it was very likely that he was either re-moving on me or had a hand somewhere in the range of 6x or 22-88, but either way since unknowns don't 4 bet bluff, it just felt right in the spot. Perhaps going too many levels deep for the situation, nor is this a standard play of mine. In fact I have never made it before. It just felt right at the situation and this was my reasoning.

I have just been chewing a lot on chip accumulation lately and how it's so dynamic in the HSMTT internet world. It seems like everybody knows pre-flop strategy pretty well these days as far as accumulation goes. I wonder often if there's more value in seeing flops and getting ourselves into these spots every once in a while. If the villian in this hand really was on the level that I gave him credit for, being that he put me on not having a K or anything that could stand a 3 bet and thus 3 bet rather than actually 3 betting for value... I really think that we need to figure out what the next level of new school chip accumulation looks like if we are to continue to stay ahead of the game like we have for the past several years. I feel like this may be a spot where we can pick up chips in rare instances if we learn to identify those spots and then have the balls to execute when we see those spots, and thus we will remain ahead of the ever steepening learning curve of online HSMTT's.

So, I had some small cashes this week including cashing in the 1k, but I ran pretty bad overall. I think in one day I lost 13/14 races. Hard to win tournaments when that's going on. Yesterday I played three pots for top ten in chips in the 1k and the fuper, and lost with QQ<52dd, AA<78cc, and AKcc<89hh. Gross.

Life's been good. I've been hanging out with Tiffany again and things are better than ever. I bought Rock Band for the 360, and that is quite possibly the most fun video game ever. We've played that A LOT (probably why I haven't scribbled out a blog in a while!).

I'm getting ancy though and will be heading somewhere soon. Probably Monday at the latest I'm headed somewhere.

K. Tables are popping up.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com