Monday, November 05, 2007

I Still Want to Be a Hippie

It's been a good week. It has been an excellent last several days. First off, I want to thank all of you that sent me e-mails of encouragement. They really have meant a lot to me and have been a strong source of strength for me.

Last night Jared and I went to see "Into the Wild" at the only theatre showing it in town. I had been fixing to see this movie for quite a while. The book rocked my world and I was sure that the movie would do the same, especially at this crux in my life. Into the Wild is a story about a 21 year old man who is as counter culture as they come. He is a trust fund baby from a "perfect" family but he is embittered by the lies and pursuit of wealth that have jaded his family for his entire life. After he graduates college he drives west in his Datsun, not sure where he's going, but knowing that he wanted to disappear. It's a story about his adventure that takes him from Atlanta to Lake Mead up the Pacific Crest Trail to South Dakota to the Grand Canyon down the river in a kayak into the gulf of Mexico, back north to Los Angeles, to the Slabs, and to Anzo Borreago (sp?) before leaving on his "Great Alaskan Adventure." It's a story of an intelligent kid losing himself to find himself. At the end of the movie he writes that "happiness is only real when shared." The movie ended, credits rolled, the lights came on, and nobody had moved. When was the last time you had ever seen that? I haven't ever. Everybody in the theatre (granted not many people) had not moved and were engrossed in conversation about the movie. It definately hit Jared and I in a big way.

I'm definately doing it. I got into the poker world in the first place because of that counter-culture personality that most of us have. We hate the idea of the corporate ladder, the pursuit of money, working 9-5, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, never living because of being too wrapped up with working. For a couple of years poker was a the perfect combination with my love for the woods and the wild because it allowed me the freedom to be as transient as I wanted to. I would guide for about four months every year, living in a sleeping bag somewhere and loving it. But then the series of 06 happened, I started writing here at pokerpages, I got asked for autographs, and suddenly I was consumed with the pursuit of fame and fortune. It's made me less happy of a person.

I definately feel that there's a balance here in the city that I can find as a compromise as last night was an awesome hippie moment as was last Sunday that inspired my previous blog. Jared and I saw the flick, hung out at my friend's bar, went to the market and bought wine, went home and drank it around a bonfire in our backyard. We chilled and watched the sun rise and had a peaceful moment with peaceful people.

What am I going to do? Beats me. Perhaps I'll return to the river. Perhaps I'll go back to Forest Home. Perhaps I'll just embrace the hippie spirit more consistently here. Perhaps I'll sell everything except for my truck and some gear and really get back into the hippie spirit.


I do know that I have been so much more stoked this week than I have been in a while. I re-invoked my policy of treating work like work. Back before 06 I kept my bankfoll and personal finances separate and paid myself hourly. I've dropped back down in limits again and am paying myself $20/hr in an effort to rebuild my bankroll and teach myself some life discipline with spending. I went 7 for 9 this week in sessions and won 1700. I worked on somewhat of Jared's schedule.

It's been a good week. I'm way more stoked right now than I was seven days ago that's for sure.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com