Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Great 2008 Road Trip

Days 1-4. Bend, Oregon, by way of Los Angeles, Pismo Beach, and Half Moon Bay

Sorry about the lapse between blogs. I came back from Christmas/San Diego with a sore throat. This was magnified by the UFC fight the night of Dec 28th, not helped by New Years Eve, and I thought I was home free New Years Day, when Tiffany didn’t feel well. I felt like I was still on the tail end of things and not completely recovered. By this point I had decided to go with Tiffany up north and we made the call to wait til the 3rd to leave for Washington.

Long story short, she got really sick, then I got really really really really sick, and we weren’t all the way fixed until Monday the 7th. We finally left for our road trip Wednesday afternoon. Destination: Washington ski areas. All of em. Schedule? None. So, Tiff wanted to hit Mtn. High in So Cal since she tried to on Monday but the roads were closed. We drove down to my Mom’s place, kidnapped her for dinner, met up with a bunch of the homies (Nick, Shawn [Danny’s brother], and Tommy plus 3 girls), and ended up crashing at Shawn’s pad.

Next morning Tiff woke up early, I woke up later and started working. My mission on this trip is to grind my ass off and get back somewhat of a reasonable bankroll. She’s been planning on doing this for a long time so I’m kind of tagging along. I figured with all the drive time I’ll get a bunch of reading and writing done and with all the down time/her boarding time I’ll get a bunch of work done. I started out winning both in cash and tournaments on Thursday, but just marginally in both and I’m in make-up in both so it didn’t really matter… plus I felt kicked in the nuts the way things went down and really should have gotten out of make up in cash and won about 5k in tournaments. Damn river I swear. In that cash session I only played one big pot, got it in on the flop w/KK v 75 on a 97x flop and he promptly turned a 5. Course I brick. But two nights before I had an especially gross session where I got it in five times, all $800+ pots, four times I got it in on the turn with the best hand and lost all four. One time I got it in with an open-ended straight flush draw with an over vs.. top two (I’m a favorite) and I lost that one too.

Anyways, so we decided we were going to San Francisco, then Bend, stop, ride Mt. Bachelor, maybe Hood, and then keep on keeping on. That didn’t work, and I’m stoked that it didn’t. We stopped in Santa Barbara and had dinner with Kristin, and then continued north to Pismo Beach. We decided along the way that we were taking the coast up and found this sweet room for $109 right on the sand with a 24 hour beach front Jacuzzi. Rough life really.

Friday I spent the whole day driving. Just meandering our way north on PCH, stopping to check out what we wanted to, enjoying the scenery of the Big Sur area otherwise. One of the highlights was an elephant seal colony that we came across. There were literally hundreds of elephant seals on this small stretch of beach and it looked like something off of the Discovery channel. Freakin cool. We saw a birth right after it happened, and it was crazy. The seagulls were hell bent on eating the protein rich afterbirth, the mama was intent on deafening the seagulls (she made a BAHHHWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! noise in their ears showing her teeth. I was hoping for her to rip some heads off really, or maybe I would provide her with some alka-seltzer, but there was no more blood to be seen). The newborn pup just kinda wiggled around the sand thinking about what I suppose newborns think about, which is a lot of, “What the F&#!“ and whatever their instincts are telling them, “Booooobs.“ When I’m not in the middle of nowhere I’ll post some pics, probably toward the end of the trip.

We ended up staying at Half Moon Bay in this old Victorian right on PCH since the hostel at the lighthouse was sold out of private rooms. Sad. It was cool, but not worth the money really.

Today we finished the drive up the coast, through San Fran, across the bay bridge, breakfast at Tom’s Cabin in Berkley (this awesome little hippie organic breakfast joint), and have continued driving all day. We’re staying at the Mt. Bachelor Village Resort the next couple of days, and I’m psyched to get in a good day of tourneys tomorrow. I’m back on a somewhat normal schedule and am actually gonna try and make it up by the warm-up and play all the way through the 200r.

“And it didn’t matter exactly where we were headed. We’d get there. We’d find somewhere to stay. Something or somebody would turn up. And if they didn’t, we’d camp. It was that simple. At last I was living for each day, free as the eagles that lined the roadside…” - Charley Boorman, Long Way Round

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com