This Will Only Be Funny...... To Those Who Know Reno/Poker So I really feel like blogging, but it's 8:45 from the start of the main, plus I don't feel like writing, so here goes.
This is the list of random crap that I have noticed while in Reno.
In order of them coming off my head...
1) In Reno, there is this fetish with faucet knobs going the wrong way, particularly the cold knob. In this entire hotel and every random bar/casino restroom without automatic faucets that I have been in here in my entire 9 day stay thus far, I haven't found a cold water faucet in a bathroom that turns on to the left. You know the saying, lefty loosy righty tighty? Works on bolts and everything that twists in this world? Yah, not in Reno. The hot water faucet turns on by twisting left, while the cold water turns on by twisting right. It's especially tilty in the shower when you go to turn if off, which usually ends up in cold water hitting your back as you yell some colorful metaphor.
2) Driveways. Poker players don't drive much, but I'm an anomoly. Probably ruined that spelling. Anyways, I like driving places, and I like driving around while at places. Twice, I've been on the road four times in this trip, I have run into a one way driveway. Man they're tilty. I try to pull into a 7-11 for gas, but the only driveway that I have to pull into peels off into the direction that I am traveling and I cannot possibly make the turn. It happened again today on the way to the bank. I try to pull in to Wells Fargo or 7-11, and I end up parking at a car dealership or waiting at a light to turn right and then right into the gas station. Incredibly frustrating.
3) Reno is the best stop on the circuit. Why? Cause there's things to do here. At this hotel itself, there is all the casino/food ammentities that go with a fantastic resort, but there's also bowling, an outdoor driving range that hits into a man made lake where geese hang out on man made islands with man made grass (astroturf) on them where the geese make such inviting targets for golf balls (done this twice), a golf simulator that's awesome (see Daniel's blog), shuffleboard and pool in the same place, go karts, some crazy bungee jumping swing thing, a locals bar in the parking lot with Golden Tee, put all that within an hour of Virginia City, Lake Tahoe, and my Grandpa, and nestle it in the foothills of the Sierras, and you have a place that I really like.
4) Poker sucks in Reno. Aparrently the WPT in Reno has been the bitch of the WPT forever. Last two years? 600 entrants into a 5k WPT two years, 440ish last year, and this year they kicked it to 7500 and 300 is a fair over under line. Sad. Plus, every random side game that I have played has just been LOL in poker content, and combine that with the draws for these events, it's pretty brutal.
5) I really like the aspect of community on these tour stops. Everybody here is mostly on their own, so when we all get here we want to be around cool people, and it creates a pretty sweet atmosphere of good groups of people everywhere. I have been blessed to be a part of many of these groups and it has made my stay here thoroughly enjoyable.
K... that's all I got. I really wish this was Vegas, becasue I love the proximity to the mountains. I could really see myself living in this neck of the woods at some point, cause I like the mountain climate so much better than the desert, but Reno's just way brutal in so many other ways. I wish I had the Colorado Springs of Reno with everything else of Vegas, but obviously there isn't a place like it in the world.
Peace and good luck,