Sunday, July 22, 2007

This Week's Edition of "I'm Bored in Las Vegas"

Jerry Yang, Eff the river, and Handicapped Games So after crushing my local high stakes pro home game, I promptly played I can't win for the rest of the week. I played the $1k Monday on FTP, got super unlucky deep as usual. I then made my way into the Bellagio to play some 10-20 and we started a must move game short-handed. I bought in for $3k, lost two, bought in for another two, won one, and then played this pot.

UTG goofball limps UTG five handed, CO limps, BTN limps, I complete SB with 88, BB knuckles. Flop AJ8 rainbow. I lead for $100, BB folds, UTG who has me covered says, "I really should raise you, but I'm just gonna call." He's straight-forward pre-flop but has a tendency to overplay hands post-flop, esp shorthanded. Everybody else folds. On the K turn completing the rainbow I bet $300 leaving myself with $3500 in my stack. Villian bumps it to $1300 and I insta shove. Naturally he has the QT, I can't pair the board, and gg me. From there I went to meet Justin West playing in a 2-5 game so I could give him a ride home. He's playing to his big blind (4 hands) and has an open seat to his left. I sit and say I'm going to do my best to blow the max buy-in in four hands ($500). I post, have the table convinced that I'm a fish, raise the ol KTo to $25 pre and get 4 callers. The flop comes KT9, it goes check, check, check, I bet $100, fold, SB makes it $300, fold, fold, I shove $475 total, he insta calls and tables KQ and says something like "I think I gotcha." LOL. In the words of my good friend Bob, silly money haters. Then the guy to my left says, "I folded QJ pre-flop." But, no waiting, Q on the turn, and I stand up laughing.

So that was Monday. Tuesday I did something completely un-interesting - or I at least have no clue exactly what it was. Wednesday was lake day and the usual shenanigans that go along with that. I hung out with my friend Jon Friedberg to watch his PLHE episode from the series this year. Good times.

Thursday I played some online and actually won a few bucks. That was cool. Then Jared and I went out to meet my buddy Kyle who was in town for his bachelor party this weekend. We picked up Kyle at the Stratosphere and headed to money plays to drink a few cold ones and play some shuffleboard. Kyle, Jared and I grew up together and I've known him since 5th grade, so it was good to see him. From there we headed to the airport to pick up his buddy that was arriving.

When we parked in the garage I saw an airport wheelchair and offered Jared 2-1 to ride a wheelie from where it was resting to a mini-van about 100 feet away. The conditions were no practice, and once forward motion happened he had to maintain the wheelie the entire way. He had to go the length of the truck that it was next to, left around the bed of the truck, and then 80 feet to the minivan, and then had to touch the mini-van with his feet before the front wheels on the wheelchair hit the ground. Traffic? Sucks for him. Mini-van moves? Bummer. Bet on. Oh yeah - it was a double-wide wheelchair. Not big enough for two, but significantly wider than your stock wheelchair. He smoked me for $20.

I then hopped in the wheelchair and we were discussing what I would have to do for an opportunity to get even. Wheelie across the crosswalk at passenger pick up, wheelie down the moving walkway, etc, etc. Then, since I had not met the guy that we were meeting, we decided that we were gonna screw with him and thus I became handicapped. Jared drives a super-lifted Chevy truck, so lifting a handicapped 200 lb guy into the truck was gonna be a pain - and we were gonna get the new guy to take the brunt of it.

I'm not sure what sick and twisted sort of senses of humor we all have, but it turned into "lets screw with the handicapped guy and make new guy think we're sick and twisted." Jared grabs new guy's luggage and throws it on my lap. This hurt by the way. New guy's like, uhhh... Jared says, "It's ok. He can't even feel his legs!" So we get me into the truck, and then the one liners just start coming. Jared: "Devo, wanna run to the store and pick up some beer? Oh wait, you can't! Ahhh hahahaha!" Me: "Nah, I'll just roll with you guys instead." Finally when we get back to the Stratosphere the gig was up and after I got carried out of the truck I said to the new guy, "I'll take it from here," and walked away.

Speaking of the stratosphere, I saw something that was the most absurd thing I've ever seen. Normal hotel hallway. Just before the elevator foyer was a nook about the size of a non-bathtub shower with nothing else on the walls other than a black box with a red plunger button that read "Area of Rescue." On the bottom left of the box had lights - red said "connected to help" green said "help on way". We laughed hard and then took pictures of crumpled piles of dude with beer in hand.

We played some drunken 1-2 NL (Jared owned me), played some craps, and then played lots of "Cash for Life", cause getting $1k/week for 20 years would be cool.

Friday we ended up heading to the desert to do some shooting. It was a good group of guys and we had a blast. That night we all went to Tryst and had very good times. Saturday was recovery, I played a ton online, and took two super sicko beats within five minutes of each other. JJ v 33 on a J73 flop (lotsa bets in that pot) and then 54 vs 58 on a 543,5 board with many bets going into that pot as well. Stupid poker. And here is Sunday. I played a bunch of the Sunday tourneys, got screwed in every one, and poker is stupid. Hehehe.

Couple of thoughts on the main event final table. First, Alex (dude that beat me heads up this years WSOP) took 4th. I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a real good thing for me as I'm sure they're going to be showing much of the footage from our heads up match.

Second, Jerry Yang. This guy's gotten flamed a bunch on the forums for being a "religious nutjob", but I think he's gonna be good for poker. His story's pretty sweet and he seems like a good guy. I know he made many comments like, "Lord, if you let this hold up I'll blah blah blah..." I think it's really going to come down to how ESPN portrays him and the comments that he was making as to whether it's a good thing for the Christian faith or not. I hate it when people speak Christianese all the time, and I hate it when people think that they're better than others because they're Christian. It could be disasterous if it comes off as "God doesn't like other poker players," but I think it can be a very good thing if it creates some good discussion on Christianity in general.

So, some tentative plans: 26th birthday is on Tuesday, I fly to Detroit on Thursday, and head to LA for the start of Legends Aug 1.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com