Sunday, March 30, 2008

WPT Reno, TV Final Table

So blessed... Man, it's hard to put into words what I'm feeling. The last blog was a pretty good stream of consciousness in my opinion... this journey has been so incredible and amazing that it's very difficult to put into words what I'm really feeling.

Grateful. Lucky. Blessed. Stoked. Those are the first ones that come into mind.

So, after that barf blog, here's what happened.

I went to bed Thursday night expecting to wake up to a message knowing who was sponsoring me at the final table. I needed to get that taken care of before I went to make-up at 2pm. Maria called me at 11:15 and asked me about the deal, said she was on the phone with Vanessa Russo talking deals at the moment. I said see what you can find out and went to get a hold of Matt.

Turns out he got stonewalled and couldn't make anything happen. Crap.

OK, I'll try the guy that tried to chase me down the night before. He was way too aggressive and abrasive and it really turned me off. I didn't want to do business with him, but was out of options.

He says, "PokerStars decided they only wanted to take Jason."

Wow. Last night they said they'll take me and Jason and to let them know in the morning.

So, I start calling people, and got a hold of Katie. I met her in the Ultimate Bet suite during the 2006 WSOP. I'm proud to say she was my first friend in Vegas (even though she lives in LA). I got a hold her 35 minutes before make-up, and she said "I'll make some calls."

At 2:05, Shaun Rice walks in. Ultimate Bet will take me. Sweet. We negotiate a deal, shake hands, and I put on a patch.

Thank you Ultimate Bet so much. I hope I gave you a good show.

So, makeup, interview, lunch with JP, find out my mom just got in, and at the set by 4:30 pm. I am still pretty wound up and am hitting writer's block. I would like to write a blog about the poker, but it's all documented pretty well so I don't want to go into specifics.

Lee definitely deserved the win. I made two decent mistakes, both of which I am sure will make the show. The last hand I severely overplayed my hand. I was just convinced that he was going to try and outplay me early and I thought I had the best hand enough of the time. Wrong. I realized it while driving across the desert when I realized his tell. Basically if I knew that 12 hours earlier I would have saved like 1.3 million in chips. Lee is also a total class act. Excellent card player and total gentleman. It was a priveladge to play with him.

I'm bummed that Jason didn't do better.

I'm bummed that Jeff DeWitt didn't win a hand on the TV table.

I'm stoked that my Mom and brother flew up. I'm stoked that Mike and Vince both told me I did great on set. I'm stoked that I could buy a new car today! And I'm stoked that I am still in the FTP $65k and already up on the day.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com