Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Chaos Theory: Life and Poker

Laundry by the pound baby! Today I have been experiencing first hand the Chaos Theory. It states that, "The universe moves from a state of order to a state of disorder unless outside energy is put in." My house, bedroom, and truck are in states of disorder.

However, a little nugget of beauty has been discovered through this bit of craziness called my house. My friend Travis told me that I can take my laundry to the cleaners and pay them to do it. He said, "It's great man! They charge you by the pound and it comes back to you all folded like Mama did it!" So, I rolled into the cleaners with five full size black trash bags full of un-sorted, un-insided-outed, and all sorts of smelliness going on. Eighty pounds, $112, I pick it up on Friday evening. It don't get much sweeter than that!

As far as the world of poker goes, I'm really trying to get back to a place of grinding a lot more and putting in a lot more hours than I have, well... this summer I guess. This summer during the series I pretty much worked five or six days a week, but would be done after I busted out of an event. Then I took a bunch of time off after the series which I had planned on doing for a while, and officially got back on the horse in the beginning of August. Then I got my nuts kicked in while in LA and had to play whiffle ball instead of hard ball back here in Vegas.

Damnit, I'm bored playing whiffle ball unless I'm playing with my buddies, and then I don't take it seriously.

I really gotta get my iPod fixed or something, cause this is how I went broke for the first and only time back in Feb of 04. I had run good early in my career, kept a short bankroll, and didn't put in the hours thinking that I'd be able to make $100 playing poker for one hour every day and then that it'd be enough to live on. I was completely unmotivated to put in the hours that I should have put in. I enjoyed the freedoms of this job way more liberally than I should have. Looking back, bummer for me too - because that was the golden age for internet poker when money was being given away by the tens of thousands by horrible play.

At the same time though, I don't regret not working as much, as I thoroughly enjoyed all the time I played in the wilderness and traveling and hanging out with friends, just the same as I thoroughly am enjoying the ability to travel right now and goof off as much as I am. My bankroll is still plenty healthy, but I have to be a little more responsible with work and life.

Thinking of all those things lead me down to the strip by 11am yesterday where I headed to the Apple store determined to fix my melted iPod, and that didn't happen. I was pretty disappointed by the customer service to say the least. The guy I was dealing with was dumb as a stump, finally took down the information for my order and said I'd get a call by 5pm. Well, its 26 hours after that time and I haven't even gotten a phone call yet. Grr.

I made it into the Bellagio by 1pm, tortured a 20-40 stud game while waiting for a seat, and ended up sitting in the 40-80 mix game. I've been playing that game exclusively lately and it's been sick hella good. I'm guessing that all the local studs are in LA. Actually, I know that's where most of em are. I ended up winning $1k in the 3 hours that the game survived.

Sooooooooo... Speaking of traveling, I have a bunch of that coming up. Lake day tomorrow, head to LA sometime by the weekend, and then fly to Seattle on the 30th. I leave Seattle on the 2nd heading norther to Kechikan (or however you spell it), Alaska to spend a week on Prince of Wales Island hunting, hiking, and fishing. I've never gone hunting for anything bigger than squirrel before so it should be an interesting experience. Following that I'm planning on heading to Atlantic City for the Open, Minnesota for the Fall Classic mid October, and then to Dublin, Ireland for the EPT event there and general gallivanting across the Gaelic countryside. Halloween with a bunch of Irishmen? I can't wait. I'm super excited for that trip.

Peace and good luck,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com