Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Reminders for the Heart

I'm officially here in Minnesota for another fabulous five days with my beloved. God bless flexible youth ministry schedules!

I have been thinking about how to write about this since Sunday night. I still don't know, but I'm going to try anyways. The topic of identity was tackled at pierced Sunday night. It is so challenging for many of us to accept our identity from God the "Father" due to the connotations that it raises with our earthly fathers. It is pretty hard to think of God as a Father when the only father that I knew abandoned my family and myself and then committed suicide. The sermon took the avenue that we all know - that God loves us more than we will ever know, he will never let us down, there is nothing that we can do to make him love us more or less, blah, blah, blah. We have heard it all before. I could have written the sermon notes within the first sixty seconds of the introduction.

But I still cried. I knew what was coming, and I still cried.

How often do we neglect and take for granted the core truths to our lives, because we "know" them? I think that so often our heads know these truths - but our hearts are good at forgetting. It's so important to remind our hearts of these essential truths more often than we do now.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com