Tuesday, January 18, 2005

John

Today as I was leaving the office John vaporized in the upstairs hallway of the church. This took me off guard in the first place because the church is locked up during the day. I introduced myself, and saw something in his eyes that I haven't seen in a long time. Hurt. We went downstairs to find Matt the senior pastor and the 3 of us talked for about 40 minutes.

It was interesting seeing and hearing this man. He got hit with a number of unfortunate incidents that sent him from living well to rock bottom in a matter of weeks last November. None of it was his fault. He had needs; food, rent assistance - but he talked about this stuff first to get it out of the way. What he really wanted and needed was God. He asked us to pray for him.

John had a need - he was at rock bottom - and he went to church. He had never been to the church I work at before. It was very encouraging to me - seeing that glimmer of hope that there is somebody in this society that still desires to seek God in their times of depravity. Our need for God is written onto the tablets of our hearts and programmed into our wiring - and it breaks my heart that so many people fill the void with whatever it is that will make them feel happy - and they always come up short.

Pray for John - pray that he finds community and love that leads him to God.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com