Wednesday, September 27, 2006

No-Limitarded.

Don't play bad like I do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to a continued lack of limit poker and my desire to investigate the goodness of the no-limit games, I found myself playing about 15 hours of 5-10NL at the Wynn Sunday and Monday. That session came to a crashing halt when I made a huge mistake and blew off my whole stack. So, let it hereby be known that any poker nicknames I may have held before today are void and shall be replaced with, "Donk."

It went down like this. I open raise A K from the cutoff in a 7 handed 5-10 game that just recently started to $40. I get re-raised to $240 by a player in the SB who literally had $30k in front of him. I read this play as weak and decided that I was going to take the pot down right there and re-raised to $700. So far, so good. He called. Uh-oh. Most likely hand? QQ.

Here comes the flop. Ace. King. Please. Either one. No Queen.

K 5 3 .

Excellent. Top pair, top kicker - no flush draw, but he doesn't have a flush yet. I don't want him to draw to it either.

"All-in." I bet the rest of my stack, right around $2340 into a $1410 pot.

"Call," he said.

Shit.

At this point I'm just hoping that he has AA and not KK so I have a couple of outs, but he rolls over K K . I personally was rooting for the running diamonds, but I wasn't so fortunate.

Anyways, here's how to not be a donk like I was a donk. If you are ever in that situation and don't want him to draw to the flush, make it mathematically incorrect for him to not draw. If he in fact had QQ with the Q , he's still not calling a $1k bet. And if I am in fact beat, I can fold for the additional $1300 rather than putting it all in the pot and hoping I am not beat. So, it was an unfortunate hand that was pretty much guaranteed to cost me $1700, but my own bad play cost me $1300. That's the part that pisses me off the most.

So yesterday I took off. It's crunch time for the Wynn freeroll, but I was pretty disheartened by blowing $3k in ninety seconds. Tiffany and I wandered around the forum shops for a while. We ended up playing air hockey, and she kicked my ass again. It's quite fun being competitive and talking smack with a girl that can dish it out, take it, and play hard all at the same time. It's not fun getting my ass kicked every time though! From there we headed to Little Buddah for some Sushi at the Palms and then headed upstairs to the Ghost bar. I love the view that never gets old from that place. Aparrantly there was some sex/contraceptive convention party something at Rain that night and a bunch of them had wandered upstairs to the Ghost Bar. Two different guys told Tiffany about this great new contraceptive that they or represent or whatever. I was quite amused.

Guy in Vegas: "Hi. May I buy you a drink?"

Cute girl he's hitting on: "Sure."

Guy in Vegas: "You really should check out the new type of contraceptive that I represent. It's great."

Kinda how the conversation went. Anyway, Mike from Florida, who's birthday was yesterday, wins quote of the day with, "I get paid to say vagina all day."

Rest with that as you sleep this evening. LOL.

Peace and don't play bad,

Devo

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com